Friday, December 2, 2011

Only Because ...

13.7 billion years ago the universe exploded into existence;
4.6 billion years ago a star went supernova in the Milky Way to form our solar system;
2 billion years ago, bacterial activities brought oxygen level up to 21% so that more complex life forms could develop;
65 million years ago, a meteoroid hit earth and wiped out the dinosaurs which had dominated our planet for the previous 160 million years;
35 million years ago, ape-like creatures began to evolve on earth;
250,000 years ago, Homo Sapiens developed their brains and spread out across the world;
During the 13th century my ancestors in China moved south and escaped the slaughter of the invading Mongolians;
In the 1940s during the Japanese occupation of Hongkong, father got away with just a slap in the face after refusing to bow to a Japanese soldier;
In 1959, despite the hospital’s assessment that I would have at best a 50/50 chance of being born alive, I made it;
On 7 July 2005, instead of taking my usual Circle Line train, I was on my way to a meeting in Harrogate when the bomb exploded on that underground train;
… otherwise where would I be now?